Certified Surgical Technician
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Under the supervision of the Operating Room Manager/Administrator and at the direction of Registered Nurses, performs surgical scrubbing and assisting duties within and support of the sterile field during operative procedures. Assures proper care and maintenance of all surgical instrumentation and equipment while maintaining the sterile field. Demonstrates good knowledge of principles and practices of sterile and aseptic technique and infection control. Demonstrates knowledge of all equipment, instruments, procedures and supplies utilized in the operating room within the hospital or hospital out patient department.
Projects a professional demeanor and appearance while maintaining the confidentiality of patients, coworkers, and facility information and adhering to the HIPAA policy. Reports, in good faith, any known or suspected activity that appears to violate laws, rules, regulations or the SP Code of Conduct. Fulfills annual LMS continuing education requirements.
Personal attributes include the ability to be self-directed; demonstrates accountability, professionalism, and receptiveness to change; seeks guidance, direction, and assistance when needed. Works under stress and in situations that demand patience, stamina, endurance, and tact while providing impeccable service. Fosters an attitude of teamwork and willingness to assist others and does not refuse performing other job duties as requested. Set's priorities, responds timely to issues, which require a decision, and ensure desired results are achieved by means of consistent follow through.
The patient population served by South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital is a minimum of 12 years and/or of adult stature to geriatric patients requiring or seeking pain and/or surgical intervention. In addition our hospital outpatient department patient population served by South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital is a minimum of 6 months to geriatric patients.
May be expected to lift up to 50 pounds or up to 150 pounds with assistance. May be expected to push or pull 150-300 pounds with assistance. Work is of medium demand; walking or standing most of the time while on duty. Visual and auditory acuity and manual dexterity essential to performing designated duties required. Optimal auditory acuity required. Manual dexterity involving the handling of equipment and instruments or armamentarium is essential to performing assigned duties. Physical conditions are clean, neat and well lit. May be subjected to unpleasant sights and odors, stressful situations, limited radiation, hazardous chemicals, or infectious diseases where judgment as to precautions needed to be taken is essential. Climate control and ambient temperature variances may be experienced and required by patient care and needs of the surgical team. Hours of duty may be irregular or unexpectedly extended due to the requirements of the job.
OSHA Exposure Classification:
Job Category I. Direct contact with blood or other body fluids to which standard precautions apply. Personal protective equipment is made available and must be worn.
* Demonstrates eligibility for employment in the U.S.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* High School diploma or GED required.
* Graduate of surgical technician program, CST certification, and documented experience preferred.
* Basic Life Support (BLS) prerequisite
* 2-4 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
* Ability to relate and work effectively with others.
* Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field.
* Demonstrated skills in verbal and written English communications for safe and effective patient care and to meet documentation standards.
* Demonstrates ability to comprehend written and oral instructions.
* Willingness to participate in goal-setting and educational activities for own professional advancement.
* Must be computer literate with basic fundamental computer skills that are required to perform essential job related duties.
1. Adheres to staffing schedules, attendance policy, and cooperates with daily assignments as requested.
2. Demonstrates skills as a team player. Shows a willingness to assist others in preparation of the operating room, pulling cases according to the preference cards and schedule, and cleaning and stocking of the operating room.
3. Provides direct patient care in clinical areas and demonstrates clinical competence.
4. Participates in orientation of new staff and peer evaluations, ensures facility morale exemplifies the mission and values of the center.
5. Demonstrates ability to solve problems timely and constructively; maintains focus on improving the situation.
6. Willingness to teach others and participate in competency programs.
7. Completes LMS courses in a timely manner annually.
8. Participates in all staff meetings for department and facility for informative and educational purposes.
1. Demonstrates highly effective communication skills with staff, management, physicians, patients, and family members.
2. Establishes and maintains exceptional services to all customers including physicians, patients and employees with the goal of delighting all customers.
3. Participates in physician oriented service teams as directed.
4. Gathers and assembles appropriate instruments, equipment, and supplies for each procedure assigned to maintain a high level of service to physicians and patients. Special attention to details noted on the preference cards and prior experience with specific cases.
5. Participates in the turnover of cases to achieve high level of service.
6. Models appropriate interaction with physicians, patients and staff to ensure high level of service in all areas of responsibility.
7. Reviews daily schedule and prepares cases based upon preference cards and specific patient care needs.
8. Communicates changes as necessary to preference cards.
1. Demonstrates proper decontamination, cleaning, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical instruments.
2. Demonstrates proper use of the sterilization equipment, confirmation of sterility
3. Demonstrates effective technique in surgical scrubbing, maintaining the sterile field, and aseptic technique according to policy, procedures and AORN standards.
4. Assures the delivery of quality clinical care through competency in the use of all equipment and instrumentation.
5. Assures facility clinical policies and procedures are followed.
6. Maintains a safe, clean, and orderly OR environment adheres to all patient care safety requirements.
7. Performs surgical counts consistent with policy and procedures.
8. Handles surgical specimens and biohazardous material according to policy and procedures.
9. Participates in quality improvement activities as requested.
1. Conserves resources and minimizes cost when possible.
2. Participates and assists with implementation of cost saving initiatives for the department.
3. Communicates ideas for cost containment and reducing expense.
4. Appropriate staffing levels and overtime is below established benchmarks.
1. Through competency and customer service, employee will contribute to the growth of the facility.
2. Employee communicates service line development ideas with facility leadership.
3. Employee engages in customer service conversation conversations with physicians as adjunct to facility marketing initiatives.